This video is submitted to honor a fallen soldier. Sgt Dillon Baldridge
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
Tuesday, June 20, 2017
Monday, June 19, 2017
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
I AM the Door John 15:5
I AM the VINE WBC 6/4/17
[ I read a devotion from “Our Daily Bread” that told of a man who had lost his internet connection. When he found out that it would be a whole day before it was restored he panicked. Then, he thought, “What if I lost my connection to God for a whole day”? Would I panic in the same magnitude?”
[ It is so important to be connected, In fact
[ If I have learned anything, it is the fact that I must be connected.
o Families need to be connected.
o Churches need to be connected,
o But more importantly than all of that, we need to be connected to the True Vine!
Read Scripture- John 15:1-6
We find in these verses another claim made by Christ in where He says, “I AM”. This week we are studying when He said I am the True Vine. Let’s get started because this is some good stuff.
I. The Participants of the Connection V. 1& 2 & 5
A. God the Father is the Vinedresser/Gardner- V. 1b
a) It is He who plants and cultivates the garden.
b) It is He who decides what to plant and where to plant it…
a. One of the things I remember about TC’s Mom and Dad was their garden. They worked so hard and planted everything in its rightful place… They toiled and pruned and made a perfect garden.
b. They made a huge investment and reaped veggies!
c) It is God that does this for you and I…
d) It is He who invests the time and treasure into this process.
e) What I’m saying here is this; It’s All about God!
f) God the Father as the Vine Dresser!
B. Jesus is the True Vine and the source of life. V. 1a
a) True means….that which has not only the name and resemblance, but the real nature corresponding to the name, in every respect corresponding to the idea signified by the name, real, true genuine
b) It is literally the opposite of a something counterfeit.
c) The Claim made here makes all the difference in the world. – Remember, He said, “I AM the Way, Truth & Life
d) Jesus is saying, I am not a substitute vine, not a fake vine, not a vine like any other. “I AM the True Vine”!
Jesus said the Holy Spirit was sent to comfort and guide. 5 "If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever - 17 "the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
C. God’s People are the branches who are to bear fruit. V. 2
a) The Promise here is that we will bear fruit if we abide in Him.
b) The Possibility exists that if we don’t abide in him, we will not bear fruit, and what happens to branches that does not bear fruit? It is taken away, burnt or discarded…
c) Another action given in Preparation is this; Even when you are producing fruit, the Vinedresser may purge and trim that branch so that it might produce even more fruit.
a. Scary thought: We are living right, doing what is commanded us….and in the midst of victories, we are purged and tasked with an even bigger purpose.
b. Most of us might say, Hey, I’m producing fruit, so leave me alone and let me live in my comfort.
c. But God says no….I want more from you, out of you and for you!!! OUCH
d. Let me say this: Pastor’s Point- In love I will pass this along- some of you here today is in this field/place in life. God expects more of you and today is the day to allow the purge to take affect and be more, do more, give more, say more and get to the task!
II. The Purpose of the Connection. V. 4 & 5
A. Life on the Vine (called many things-like the Christian walk, or journey and many others) BUT, for our purpose today Life on the Vine---- produces a God-Glorifying spiritual life which produces fruit. How?
a) Through Abiding. V. 4a (Abide is a root word meaning to remain, not to depart.)
b) So the question then is this; How do we abide in Christ?
1) Connection- A branch is connected to the vine, and a vine to the branch. This is what theologians frequently describe as “union with Christ.” Notice that this connection, this union, is mutual. We abide in him and he abides in us (v. 4). If there is no connection, there is no life, no fruit.
2) Dependence- Abiding also implies dependence. This aspect of abiding, unlike connection, is not reciprocal. The branch is dependent on the vine, but the vine is not dependent on the branch. The branch derives its life and power from the vine. Without the vine, the branch is useless, lifeless, powerless. Sap flows from the vine to the branch, supplying it with water, minerals, and nutrients that make it grow. As believers we receive the “sap” of Christ’s grace through our life-giving connection to him. We are completely dependent upon Jesus for everything that counts as spiritual fruit (v. 4). Apart from him, we can do nothing (v. 5). Connection- Dependence
3) Continuance- This shows us that another aspect of abiding in Jesus is remaining in Jesus. This simply means that we go on trusting, that we keep on depending, that we never stop believing. To abide in Jesus is to persevere in Jesus and his teaching. This is what Jesus is talking about in John 8:31-32, when he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
4) In summary, to abide in the vine means to be united to Jesus (connection), to rely on Jesus (dependence), and to remain in Jesus (continuance). Brian Hedges/Christianity.com
5) Keep in mind that this is not a step by step but rather all three done at once..This is the purpose of the Connection!
III. The Promise of the Connection V. 7-8
A. The Requirements- Abiding in Him and He in us!
B. The Results (Because we are abiding)
a. V. 2 Purged to bear more fruit.(we’ve already mentioned that)
b. V. 3 Cleansing
c. V. 6 Saved
d. V. 7 Intersession
e. V. 8 Glorifying God
f. Honestly, the list can go on and on!!!!!!
a. Abiding will be fruitful: Your life takes on the character of the vine.
b. Abiding means loving like Christ loves.
c. Abiding results in obedience.
d. Abiding brings JOY.- Verse 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and your joy might be full.
e. JOY can only be found in Abiding with Christ!
V We’ve looked at the participants found in the connection
o The Father- Vinedresser or gardener
o Jesus is the Vine
o We are the Branches.
V We’ve looked at the Purpose
o To abide and connect
V We’ve looked at the Promise
o That is found in the results and through our relationship.
1. Abiding in Christ will cause us to bear fruit.
2. Abiding in Christ will cause us to be successful.
3. Abiding in Christ will cause us to have joy.
The Last Thing! You can be three things in life:
V Just hanging on
The Question this morning is this; Which one are you?